"Enjoy the little things in life, because one day you will look back
and realize they were the big things."
There are many different ways to promote community spirit by engaging residents in various activities throughout the community.
Recently, the City of Warman set up a fun photo showcase for residents to hear about how much people love Warman, and also see it through their eyes. The photos – which are posted to our website and Facebook and Twitter pages – have been pouring in. One observation I’ve had from these photos is that summer really makes the community feel alive! Playgrounds are full of children and active families spending lots of time outside together. Mother Nature likes to show off her beauty through every season, but at this time a year, even with the summer storms, we see the magnificent scenery captured through the lens of those who call Warman home.
Taking pride in your community in this way may even show you why the little things in life are so important. When you love your community and participate as an active and committed member, the pride and spirit will come naturally. The whole family benefits at looking for the beauty all around them and finding ways to nurture community spirit.
A few ways to build community spirit:
- Host parties. Parties are a great way to get to know new people in your neighbourhood in a relaxed and fun setting.
- Buy locally. Support your community by shopping locally. These business owners are our neighbours, and they constantly give back to the community in which they live, work and play.
- Visit Warman’s Farmers Market located in the parking lot at City Hall every Thursday afternoon. So much to see, taste and enjoy. Go check it out!
- Learn about the history of your city. Learning where you come from will help you understand why you’re there and increase your appreciation of where you live. Learn about the people who founded the city where we live. Learn about the cultural history that shaped and continues to influence Warman.
- Cemetery care. Take care of your loved one's final resting place. The well-kept cemetery reflects community pride and respect for past residents. Warman city staff do an excellent job of maintaining the cemetery, but there are ways we can pitch in.
- Visit your library. Invaluable public resources are kept and maintained for our enrichment, convenience, accessibility and enjoyment, and a library is a public place that we can all enjoy. Get out of your house once in a while and see what your community — and your tax dollars — have to offer.
- Participate in the many fun family-inspired activities and events going on in our vibrant city. Warman’s recreation department plans year round family events that residents of every age can enjoy.
- Continue to send in your photos of our community. They are fabulous! Thank you to everyone who has shared their photos already. We always have an open ear to hear what you think and ideas you have to share.
Don't just reside in your community, LIVE in it!